Come to make the most sporting canyon of the High Verdon! Jumps and abseils of great height in an alpine landscape will make you shive !
Located in Colmar-les-Alpes at 1 hour drives from Castellane and the Verdon Gorges, the torrent of the Lance is practicable only during the summer season.
Supply mainly by the snowmelt and rains, the water of this canyon is particularly cold.
The many parts of walk on a slippery rock as well as the impressive natural obstacles (jumps and abseils) make this course reserved to sporting people, being in physical good condition and having already practised the activity.
Data sheet - Canyon de la Lance
- Price per person: 75€/pers.
- Difficulty: very sporty
- Minimum age: 16 years
- Totale duration : 7hrs
- Activity duration: 5hrs 30min
- Approach walk: 1 minute
- Return walk: 10 minutes
- Equipment to be taken: Sport shoes, swimming suit, bottle of water and lunch
- Equipment supplied: Backpack with waterproof box, wetsuit, helmet and harness
- Highest obligatory jump: 5 metres
- Highest obligatory abseil: 25 metres
- Maximum number of person per monitor : 6
- Period of activity: Summer
- Lenght: 3km500
- Difference in height: 330 metres
- Département: Alpes de Haute Provence (04)
- Village nearby : Colmars les Alpes
- shuttle by car: 20 minutes
Description of the canyoning activity - Canyon de la Lance
The meeting point with your qualified instructor will be on the camper van car park located in Colmars le Alpes at 1 hour driveing from Castellane. You will receive a neoprene suit, a helmet and a harness, and your instructor will organize cars shuttle with the participants in order to go to the beginning of the course. Before leaving for more than 5 hours of adventure and adrenalin, the instructor will explain you the safety instructions.
The course begin with an abseil of 15 meters followed by a walk along the torrent which brings you to the first jump of 6 meters. Then, the canyon is made up with zones of walk, in a splendid mountain river slaloming between the larches, intersected with a lot of jumps and abseils.
The Lance’s torrent is a long course in a fresh environment. This descent requires a good endurance. Thus, plan to eat a good breakfast before to come because the best place to take a break is at the ¾ of the course.
Passed the lunch break, you will continue the descent by still crossing great jumps in a universe much narrower and deeper than in the first part. Arrived at the famous final waterfall of the Lance, a last great jump is possible, under the envious eye of the tourists come to appreciate the place.
Afterwards, 10 minutes walk in the shade of pines, will bring you back to the car park where you will take your equipment off.
CAUTION: The Jumps suggested in this canyon are rather hight and require a controlled reception in water. The departures of the jumps, often slippery, need attention and a good concentration. To make this canyon it is essential to appreciate jumping because those are numerous and hight (up to 10 meters). For the abseils, it is better to have practised it before because you will make some of them rather high and watered. If you are scared on a jump of four meters hight or for abseil, we suggest you other canyons, more adapted to your expectations. For example the canyon of Riolan or La Bollène are also varied but more accessible.
Road map of the activity canyoning - Canyon de la Lance
How to come:
- From CASTELLANE (04120 - Alpes-de-Haute-Provence): Take the D955 direction SAINT ANDRE LES ALPES. At the intersection with the N202, turn left towards SAINT ANDRE LES ALPES. In SAINT-ANDRE, continue straight ahead and take the D955 towards COLMARS / COL D'ALLOS. Pass THORAME and BEAUVEZER then at the entrance of COLMARS LES ALPES head towards the camper park. The appointment is on the camper area, in front of the fire station of COLMARS. Count 1h10 of road from CASTELLANE.
- From MARSEILLE (13000 - Bouches-du-Rhône): Take the A51 towards AIX EN PROVENCE then continue on A 51 towards GAP / DIGNE LES BAINS. Take exit 20 towards DIGNE-LES-BAINS and cross LES MEES, MALIJAI. After the village of MALLEMOISSON, turn right towards LE CHAFFAUT / MEZEL on the D17, and follow direction MEZEL. Before MEZEL, turn left towards BARRÊME to join the N85. Stay on the N85 until BARRÊME. Arrived at BARRÊME, take the N202 to SAINT-ANDRE-LES-ALPES. In SAINT-ANDRE, at the first roundabout, take the exit on the Allos road (the D955) towards COLMARS / COL D'ALLOS. Pass THORAME and BEAUVEZER then at the entrance of COLMARS go to the camper park. The appointment is on the camper area, in front of the fire station of COLMARS. Allow about 3 hours of travel.
- From NICE (06000 - Alpes-Maritmes): Take the direction of DIGNE by the N6202. Always follow DIGNE direction. Go through ST MARTIN OF VAR, TOUET ON VAR, PUGET-THENIERS, ENTREVAUX. Turn right towards ANNOT by the D908. Cross ANNOT, then LE FUGERET, then LA COLLE SAINT MICHEL. After the descent of LA COLLE SAINT MICHEL continue in the direction of COLMARS on the D908. The meeting place is in the village of COLMARS, in the camper area, in front of the fire station. Count about 2h30 of journey.
- From GRASSE (06130 - Alpes-Maritmes): Take direction CASTELLANE on the D6085. Cross ST VALLIER DE THIEY, ESCRAGNOLLES then LOGIS DU PIN and LA GARDE. In CASTELLANE, take the D955 direction SAINT ANDRE LES ALPES. At the intersection with the N202, turn left towards SAINT ANDRE LES ALPES. In SAINT-ANDRE, continue straight ahead and take the D955 towards COLMARS / COL D'ALLOS. Pass THORAME and BEAUVEZER then at the entrance of COLMARS LES ALPES head towards the camper park. The appointment is on the camper area, in front of the fire station of COLMARS. Count 2h30 of journey.
Equipment to be taken: Sport shoes, swimming suit, bottle of water and lunch
GPS coordinates: 44.179244, 6.626736
Payment on-site of the activity: Only cash, there is no ATM on the spot.
Warning: Plan to arrive a little early in case of excessive delay the monitor can not wait to other participants.
Situation haut verdon - Canyon de la Lance
By clicking the marker, you can use the map below to calculate your route towards your place of activity. Think of increasing the time given by Google about 20 %, which correspond to time lost on our small mountain roads.
Please wait while loading map...