One of the most beautiful canyons of France!
A marvellous canyon, the Riolan is a full day sporty trip. Very aquatic, you will find there many jumps, initiatory abseiling, superb slides and long swimming zones.
This course will surprise you with its narrow labyrinthian passages between 250- meter high cliffs.
No escape way in this canyon. It is thus addressed to people able to swim and having a good physical condition, beginners or not.
Data sheet - Canyon du Riolan
- Price per person: 70€/pers.
- Difficulty: sporty and aquatic
- Minimum age: 14 years
- Totale duration : 6hrs
- Activity duration: 4hrs 30min
- Approach walk: 15 minutes
- Return walk: 1 minutes
- Equipment to be taken: Sport shoes, swimming suit, bottle of water and lunch
- Equipment supplied: Backpack with waterproof box, wetsuit, helmet and harness
- Highest obligatory jump: 3 metres
- Highest obligatory abseil: 10 metres
- Maximum number of person per monitor : 8
- Period of activity: From may to september
- Lenght: 3 km
- Difference in height: 200 metres
- Département: Alpes maritime (06)
- Village nearby : Sigale
- shuttle by car: 15 minutes
Description of the canyoning activity - Canyon du Riolan
The meeting point with your qualified instructor will be on the car park of the canyon (on the Riolan bridge) located at one hour driving from Castellane.
After you’ve been equipped with a neoprene suit, a helmet and a harness, your monitor will organize car shuttles with the participants in order to go to the beginning of the canyon.
Then the adventure will start with a small 15-minute approach walk along the river.
You will make some initiation jumps before going down on the first abseil along a 10-meter waterfall.
After 2 hours of jumps and slides, you will take a lunch break located halfway.
The course continues with a beautiful 6-meter jump (for the boldest ones) followed by the narrowest part of the canyon. Jumps and abseils will constitute the descent up to the famous slide known as the « Death Slide ».
The stream in this canyon evolves according to the seasons and to the rains. That implies that certain obstacles can sometimes be more difficult to cross. We will let you know about it.
Road map of the activity canyoning - Canyon du Riolan
How to come:
- From CASTELLANE (04120 - Alpes-de-Haute-Provence): Take the direction of GRASSE on the D4085. Drive 10 km on this road and turn left towards PEYROULES / LA BATIE on the D452 Pass PEYROULES then 2 km after, turn left on the D2211 direction SAINT AUBAN / LA FOUX. Cross the villages of LA FOUX and LES LATTE. About 5/10 minutes after LES LATTES and before SAINT AUBAN, take on the right the D5 towards AIGLUN / LE MAS. Cross the MAS, then further on the road go under the tunnels of Esteron bridge and cross AIGLUN. After AIGLUN, continue for 5 to 10 minutes and you will arrive at the Riolan Bridge (sign "Riolan"). The meeting point is at the bridge level. Count 1h15 ride.
- From MARSEILLE (13000 - Bouches-du-Rhône): Join the A8 motorway towards NICE. Pass BRIGNOLES, LE MUY, CANNES. After CAGNE SUR MER, take the exit 51.1 direction DIGNE on the M6202. After SAINT-MARTIN-DU-VAR, turn left on D17 towards GILETTE. Stay on this road, cross ROQUESTERON. 2 km after ROQUESTERON, turn left on the D10 direction AIGLUN / LE MAS (if you miss, you will arrive at the village of SIGALE) The meeting point is on the first bridge that you will cross at the bottom of the descent on the RIOLAN bridge. Count about 3h15 ride.
- From NICE (06000 - Alpes-Maritmes): Join M6202 direction DIGNE to St MARTIN DU VAR After SAINT-MARTIN-DU-VAR, turn left on D17 towards GILETTE. Stay on this road and cross GILETTE and ROQUESTERON. 2 Km after ROQUESTERON, take on the left the D10 direction AIGLUN / LE MAS (if you miss it, you will arrive at the village of SIGALE) The meeting point is on the first bridge that you will cross at the bottom of the descent on the RIOLAN bridge. Count about 1 hour 45 minutes.
- From GRASSE (06130 - Alpes-Maritmes): Take the direction of DIGNE / CASTELLANE on the road D6085. Cross SAINT VALLIER DE THIERS and ESCRAGNOLES. At the village of LOGIS-DU-PIN, at the roundabout follow direction DIGNE / CASTELLANE, then turn right direction SAINT AUBAN on the D2211. Cross LA FOUX, and LES LATTES. Before the village of SAINT AUBAN, take on the right the D5 direction "LE MAS / AIGLUN" (at the campsite "La pinatelle".) Cross LE MAS, pass over the bridge of Aiglun, then cross AIGLUN. Continue about 5 to 10 minutes after AIGLUN and you arrive at the RIOLAN bridge. The appointment is on the parking at the bridge. Allow about 1 hour 45 minutes.
Equipment to be taken: Sport shoes, swimming suit, bottle of water and lunch
GPS coordinates: 43.867243, 6.949996
Payment on-site of the activity: Only cash, there is no ATM on the spot.
Warning: Plan to arrive a little early in case of excessive delay the monitor can not wait to other participants.
Situation close to nice - Canyon du Riolan
By clicking the marker, you can use the map below to calculate your route towards your place of activity. Think of increasing the time given by Google about 20 %, which correspond to time lost on our small mountain roads.
Please wait while loading map...